Regardless of whether you’re new to the vegan cooking world, you’ve probably already been introduced to the power of sweet potatoes. Foodies are obsessed with their vitamins and nutrients! In this recipe, I’ll show you how to make one of my favorite red curry dishes using sweet potatoes for a rich, filling, and inexpensive meal!
This curry dish is vegan, gluten-free, and delicious! It takes under an hour to put this entire meal together and makes enough to serve four people. If you enjoy meal prepping, curry is a fantastic option since it can be easily stored and reheated later in the week. It’s a great dish to make at the end of the week because you can toss in any veggie you have left in the fridge, and it will turn out amazing.
What Is Curry?
Curry is the umbrella term that refers to a variety of Indian dishes which combine a ton of herbs and spices to create a meal with intense flavor and depth. In most recipes online, curry is the general name for a sauce-based meal that uses curry powder or paste as the base.
You’ll find that peanuts are often used in these kinds of dishes since it helps create texture and richness. Try substituting the peanut butter for sunflower seed butter, coconut butter, or even tahini if you have a nut allergy!
Try to make this red sweet potato curry dish yourself and post pictures of your result on your social media pages! Don’t forget to tag me @jennyleeisme so I can see them too! We have a great online community of supportive home cooks, so let us know if you have any questions or need help. Happy cooking!
RED SWEET POTATO CURRY
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 white onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 14 oz tomatoes (400g) can be chopped
- 1 cup vegetable stock (240ml)
- ¼ cup smooth natural peanut butter (65g)
- ½ cup canned coconut milk (120ml) light
- juice of 1 time
- 3 cup peanuts chopped (30g)
- 3 cup white rice cooked (480g)
- 1 handful coriander chopped
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in large pan. Add the onion and cook for around 5 minutes until soft.
- Next add the garlic and red curry paste and stir well. Add the sweet potatoes, chopped tomatoes, vegetable broth, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 30 to 35 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the peanut butter and coconut milk. Pour into the pan and stir well to combine.
- Remove from the heat, squeeze in lime juice, mix well and serve with the cooked rice. Garnish with the chopped peanuts and coriander.