If you've been struggling to come up with a plan for dinner at the end of the week and don't know what to do with your leftover potatoes, try making this delicious sweet potato and bean bake! All you need are spices, canned tomatoes, potatoes, and black beans to complete this dish--it's surprising how hearty and filling just these few ingredients can be when combined!
This recipe can take a bit of time, but it's well worth the wait! You'll need about thirty minutes to prep all the ingredients and a little over an hour to cook. Since ovens can be pretty temperamental, your total cooking time might be different. Keep watch over your dish during the finish, so you don't accidentally burn it.
It's a perfect choice, whether you choose to make this as a side dish or the main entree itself. You'll get four servings from this recipe, perfect for an easy family dinner! It has about 361 calories and provides 17 grams of carbohydrates, 9 grams of protein, and 44 grams of fat per serving. You can always increase the protein count by adding in more vegetables like mushrooms or spinach.
Once the vegan cheese is finished melting, top it with some parsley or basil and snap a picture of it to post online. Baked dishes always look aesthetically pleasing in photos and will make everyone hungry just by looking at them. Don't forget to tag me @jennyleeisme so I can see how it turned out! Your friends and family will totally love this dish and beg you for the recipe, so pin it and save it to show them later!
SWEET POTATO & BEAN BAKE
- 2 sweet potatoes large, peeled
- 2x14 oz cans black beans (400), drained
- 7 oz vegan cheese (200), grated
- handful parsley chopped
For the sauce
- 1 tbsp. olive oil,
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. ground cumin more to season layers
- 2 tsp. paprika smoked, more to season layers
- 1 tsp. mixed herbs,more to season layers more to season layers
- 14 oz can tomatoes (400), chopped
- ¼ cup tomato puree (60ml)
- Firstly, prepare the tomato sauce.Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onion and garlic and fry until fragrant, 3-4 minutes. Next, add in the spices and herbs and cook for another minute, stirring.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes and tomato puree, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the sauce is reduced and thickens.
- Preheat the oven to 355°F(180°C).Spread half of the tomato at the bottom of a baking dish.
- Slice the sweet potatoes into 0.1″(3mm) thin slices and try to make each slice the same thickness.
- Place a layer of sweet potato on the tomato sauce overlapping slightly—season with salt, herbs, and smoked paprika
- Next, spread 1 can of black beans on top of the potato. Follow with another layer of sweet potato, and season with salt, herbs, and smoked paprika.Spread the second can of black beans followed with a third layer of sweet potato. Again season with salt, herbs, and smoked paprika.
- Finally, top with the remaining tomato sauce. Cover with a piece of tin foil and bake for about 40-50 minutes, until the sweet potato is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with grated vegan cheese and bake without cover for another 10-15 minutes, until the cheese has melted.